Analysis

Canadian Telecommunication Market Study

I’m always interested in the Canadian Telecommunication Market, while I never got a chance to write down something. This study is my own understanding of this market base on the data available on internet. Most of the data I used here is before 2016. I will use data analysis approach to illustrate this market with the overview and by leading companies.

Overview:

Let’s look at the 5 years revenue trend by wireline and wireless of Canadian telecom market (from 2011 to 2015) and its growth first:

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-3-26-45-pm

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-3-26-51-pm

We can easily found that the telecom market is growing, even increasingly growing. And this growth mostly contributed by the growth of wireless sector, since wireline revenue keeps flat. The wireless revenue percentage is increasing, almost up to 50% of the total revenue.

Then we can take a look at the telecom revenue by region from 2014 to 2015:

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-3-38-57-pm

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-3-39-03-pm

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-3-39-12-pm

There is almost no different from 2014 to 2015 about the revenue distribution by region of Canadian Telecom Market. Ontario had the biggest contribution followed by Prairies and Atlantic.

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-3-39-21-pm

If we look at the growth rate, we can find that 2 of big 3 fall below the average growth (Ontario and Atlantic). And Ontario has the lowest growth rate with the biggest share. This might be caused by the big base on Ontario revenue contribution or the mature of the market.

Finally, we would like to know how the competition in this market looks like. We separated all the players in 3 groups: Top 5, next 5 and others base on their market share. The percentage of revenue contribution of each group in 3 years is:

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-3-48-35-pm

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-3-48-40-pm

The result is amazing! The top 5 players contributed around 84% of total market revenue through out the 3 years. If we consolidate the top 10, the result will be more than 90%. All the remaining players contributed less than 10%. The Canadian telecom market is a super concentrated market. The top 5 players in 2014 is Bell, Rogers, Telus, Shaw, and MTS. While in 2015, Quebecor replaced MTS into the top 5.

Market Leaders:

As the result above, we define Bell, Rogers, Telus, Shaw, MTS and Quebecor as the market leaders of Canadian Telecom Market. Let’s go through their revenue from 2014 to 2015 and the growth to understand how the competition looks like in this super concentrated market.

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-3-56-48-pm

  • Source:
  • Annual Report of Telus, Bell, Rogers, Shaw, Quebecor and MTS

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-3-56-58-pm

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-3-57-04-pm

Market share didn’t change too much from 2014 to 2015. The biggest 3 players (Bell, Rogers and Telus) contributed around 88% of the top 6 revenue.

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-3-57-11-pm

Telus, Rogers and Shaw have the higher growth rate (above average) from 2014 to 2015 for revenue. While, Bell’s growth rate is below average with its top 1 market share position.

Conclusion:

Canadian Telecommunication Market is growing, mostly contributed by the wireless sector. Ontario contributed the most revenue by region. And this market is highly concentrated with top 5 players contributed 84% of the total revenue. Within the top players, competition is still concentrated.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s